Bishop Anderson, elected to the episcopacy in 1972, was a distinguished pastor, writer, ecumenist, liturgist and leader in African Methodism and throughout the world. An elected and consecrated African Methodist Episcopal Bishop, Anderson was actively involved in ecumenical affairs, serving as President of the World Council of Churches from 1991-1998, leading over 560 million members and 330 denominations in interfaith dialogue and collaboration. During his distinguished two decade tenure as Chairman of the Board at Payne, Bishop Anderson was committed to renovating the Mitchell-Anderson Building and at the forefront of the effort to build the Bishop Reverdy Cassius Ransom Memorial Library. His witness for ecumenism in theological education led to the founding of The Bishop Vinton R. Anderson Ecumenical Institute at Payne in 2011. The Institute promotes programs of education, advocacy, and service that address critically important social needs and offers opportunity for the Church to witness through common faith expressions developed from the ministry of Jesus Christ. Bishop Anderson migrated from Bermuda where he was born in Somerset, on July 11, 1927 to the United States in 1947 at twenty years old to attend Wilberforce University where he went on to earn a Bachelor of Arts with Honors. Anderson strengthened his religious knowledge as he gained his Masters of Divinity from Payne Theological Seminary in 1952.